The Space Status Report can be used by housekeepers and managers to easily track the housekeeping status of all the spaces at your property. A quick visual overview of this report is always visible on the Mews Dashboard.
Below, you will find a detailed description of all features and filters available on the Space Status Report.
Within the report header, on the right-hand side, you will find the hand icon, representing one of the most important features available with this report:
- Hand icon - This icon will allow you to evenly assign spaces in any selected status between the housekeepers that are currently working at your property
When you click on the
Hand icon, you will be redirected to the assignment form, where you will see the following options:
- Employees - Select which employees you'd like to assign to certain spaces. If multiple employees are selected, items will be distributed between them evenly. Please note that each space can only be assigned to one person.
- Status - Selected employees will only be assigned to this particular space status.
- Clean - Assign employees to clean spaces that need to be inspected.
- Dirty - Assign employees to dirty spaces that need to be cleaned and inspected.
- Inspected - Assign employees to already inspected spaces, if needed.
- Out of order - Assign employees to spaces that need major repair.
- Out of service - Assign employee to spaces that need minor repair.
- Space types - Select which space type you'd like to assign employees to. Please note that
Bedwill automatically be deselected because it can complicate assignments if one employee is assigned to a bed and a different employee is assigned to the space containing the bed.
Note: Placing a space Out of Service will not reduce your availability or affect RevPAR, but placing a space Out of Order will.
OK button when all of the selected options are correct and wait for the green success message.
From here, you will be redirected back to the Space Status Report, where you will see the the selected details. The
Group by filter will automatically be pre-filled with 'Assignee' and you will see each employee next to a list of all spaces that they are responsible for cleaning.
At the top of the report there are several options you can select to narrow down the report:
- Date - Select a date to restrict results to that day. The date field with automatically be pre-filled with today's date.
- Group by
- Assignee - Group spaces by assigned employee
- Category - Group spaces by space category
- Floor - Group spaces by floor number
- Status - Group spaces by current status
- Options - Select any of the following options to include them in the report
- Display customer notes - Notes from a customer's profile
- Display products - Stay products that a customer has ordered
- Display reservation notes - Notes from a reservation
- Filter - Restrict space results by the type or status of reservation.
- Arrived - Reservations that have already arrived and completed check-in
- Arrived or arriving - Reservations that have already arrived that day or will be arriving later that day
- Arriving - Reservations that will be arriving at some point during the selected date
- Departed - Reservations that have already completed check-out and departed on that day
- Departed and arriving - Groups that have already departed with another group arriving the same day in the same space
- Departed or departing - Those that have already completed check-out and departed and those who will be departing that day
- Departing - Reservations that will be departing at some point during that selected date, but have not done so yet
- Departing and arriving - When a group will be departing that day with another group arriving that day in the same space
- House use - Reservations booked for a member of the hotel staff or being used for a property-related event
- No arrival nor stay over - Any booking that is not arriving that day nor staying over after having already arrived previously
- No departure nor stay over - Any booking that is not leaving that day nor staying over after having already arrived previously
- Out of order - Any space that is blocked from being reserved and taken from inventory because of need for repair or any other reason that would prevent guests from staying in that space
- Stay over - Any booking of that is staying overnight and has neither arrived that day nor will be departing that day
- Used - Any space currently being used or that will be used later that day. You'll also see spaces marked
Out of Order.
- Vacant - Any space that is not occupied
- Vacant or departed - Any space that is not occupied or has had a guest that departed from that space earlier in the day
- Assignee - Select an employee from the menu to restrict results by spaces assigned to that employee.
- Status - Restrict space results by housekeeping status.
- Out of order
- Out of service
- Floor - Restrict space results by a specific floor.
- Space category - Restrict space results by space category.
The Space Status Report is organized, by default, as a list of each space within your property ordered by
Floor(including spaces, beds, apartments, etc.). Use the
Group by filter to change the organization of the report and customize the way that you view your results.
Each space number is followed by a drop-down menu, where you can instantly change the status of any space.
The primary feature is the real time representation of current and upcoming reservations, with the vertical dotted line representing the current time.
Each reservation is displayed with the following information:
- Date or time of arrival - If arrival is on the same day, time will be displayed, but if arrival is on a different day, date will be displayed.
- Number of companions - number of guests expected for reservation
- Customer name - Click on the name of the customer to be taken directly to their customer profile.
- Internals - Any internal indicator icons will be displayed next to the customer's name
- Date or time of departure - If departure is on the same day, time will be displayed, but if departure is on a different day, date will be displayed.
Using the filters, you can also choose to include:
- Customer notes - Any additional notes or information on the customer's profile
- Products - Any products that were included with reservation or added by customer and the quantity of each
- Reservation notes - Any additional notes or information about that reservation
House use reservations and
Out of Order blocks will be displayed with the following details:
- Start date or time - If start is on the same day, time will be displayed, but if start is on a different day, date will be displayed.
- Name - Name entered at time of creation. This should be a short description of the problem or reason for reservation.
- End date or time - If end is on the same day, time will be displayed, but if end is on a different day, date will be displayed.
Furthermore, upcoming events will be displayed with a lightning icon, indicating that guests will be arriving soon and all final arrangements should be completed urgently.
Out of order
Placing a space
Out of Order is a serious decision that should only be made by a supervisor.
Out of Order spaces are taken out of the central inventory and cannot be sold during the selected period of time, thereby reducing your availability and affecting your RevPAR. Staff should always avoid using this status unless there is no other option.
Set space status to out of order
Click on the number of the space that you want to place
Out of Order, then click the
Out of order button. You will be redirected to another screen to complete the following fields:
- Block name - Enter a short description of the problem.
- Assigned space - This will be pre-selected with the space number you clicked on. You can also select a different space from the drop-down menu.
- Start - Select the date and time that the
OOOblock should begin.
- End - Select the date and time that the
OOOblock should end and the space will be back in working order. Space status will automatically change to
Dirtyat this selected end time.
- Notes - It is important to include the reason why the space has been placed
Out of Orderto keep your staff informed. You may also include any other additional notes regarding the issue.
Create button. Details about the block will now be listed on the space properties screen. You can edit any of this information by click on the name of the block.
Please note that if a parent space is placed
Out of Order, all child spaces within it will also be placed
Out of Order for the same block of time.
Within your Stay settings, properties may choose to enable automatic space status changes for housekeeping's convenience. To view your stay service settings, go to Main menu > Settings > Services > Stay.
Under General settings, go to Options. Under the Visit options field, you can enable any of the following options related to space status:
- Change inspected to clean overnight – Vacant spaces that have been inspected will automatically change to
Cleanbetween 04:00-05:00 every morning. If this option is not selected, space status will remain the same for seven days before automatically being changed to
- Check-in makes room dirty – Space status will automatically change to
Dirtywhen the customer is checked in.
- Check-out makes room dirty - Space status will automatically change to
Dirtywhen the customer is checked out.
In the General settings, you can set space status to automatically change from clean to dirty after a specified period of vacancy with the housekeeping interval.
This option is used so that properties can ensure the quality of cleanliness in case there is an unnoticed change within the time that any space is unoccupied.
If the housekeeping interval is set to two days, the space will automatically be changed to dirty after two days. Each unit represents a period of 24 hours, with automatic changes occurring between 04:00-05:00.
House use and out of order
When a space is reserved for
House use or placed
Out of order, the user must specify both starting and ending date and time, which will appear as a reserved block that is visible from the Timeline. At the date and time that the block ends, space status will automatically change to
If a space is vacant and unoccupied for seven consecutive days, space status will automatically change to
Dirty due to regulations in Benelux countries. These regulations state that all water sources in the space must be flushed after this time to prevent a potential legionella outbreak.
For this reason, the system will change space status to
Dirty (Legionella) to remind housekeeping that they need to flush all water sources (shower, taps, etc.). Spaces will include a note stating
Before seven days of inactivity, space status will not change automatically unless you've selected the
Change inspected to clean overnight option in your stay settings.
Each night, the system will automatically change the status of all occupied spaces to
When moving a checked in reservation from one space to another, the status of both spaces will change to
Dirty, and include a note stating
Reservation change. Please note that if a reservation is already checked in, it must be shortened and checked out. The property must then create a new reservation for the same customer before they can be moved to another space. Enabling the
Check out makes room dirty option in your settings would also be beneficial in this situation.
In case of no-show reservations and a guest not being checked in, the reservation's assigned space status will no longer change to dirty overnight. This is with the assumption that nobody ever occupied the space and therefore it does not need to be relabeled
Note: When a bed within a dorm is included in filtered results, such as departed or departing, the system will show only matching beds, even if the space as a whole would not be included in those same results. If there are beds of another status included in that same space, they will not be displayed.
For most properties, the average housekeeping shift starts at 08:00 and ends at 16:00. Therefore, theoretically the spaces are cleaned and inspected in the same order. However using this report, you will find that the bulk of spaces are changed to
inspected between 15:00 and 16:00.
This means that the housekeepers do not have the tools to easily and quickly communicate when they've finished cleaning a space. This miscommunication often has an adverse effect on guests, as spaces may be cleaned and ready, but guests are still not able to check in before their official check in time.
Mews offers a great housekeeping app, both for iOS and Android, offering your housekeeping department a great tool to optimize their speed at which they inspect spaces in the system.